December 14, 2010

Toffee Lesson

For as long as I can remember, my dad has been making toffee during the holidays. His toffee is out of this world fantastic. No joke. It's the best candy around. He even sells boxes of it to friends and family - they like to give as gifts and serve at their holiday parties. Today was the day I was going to attempt to make said toffee. Good thing my dad is a patient guy. It's a tedious process and you really need to be patient (note to self: work on building up my stirring muscles!). My dad doesn't use a candy thermometer and doesn't always measure (he uses a dash of this or a cap of that), so we'll see how I manage using my own intuitive skills! Overall, it was a successful day. The little bit I tried was pretty darn good.

Look at all that butter! What's not to love about that?


Look at how it changes color - YUM!



Melting the chocolate to coat the pieces


It's time consuming to do it this way, but so worth it!
The finished product... it will look much neater once it's cooled and boxed up nice.

1 comment:

ClosetConfections said...

Wow, that looks really amazing... and dangerous... but mostly amazing! I recently learned how to make homemade caramels, and I think I'll be giving this a whirl too. Thanks for sharing!

Kendra
http://closetconfections.com