September 26, 2010

Firsts

This weekend was a weekend of firsts. Friday night we had friends over for steak and wine. Ramesh grilled the steak and potatoes and I made chocolate cake for dessert. It's been a while since I've made a cake, and I tried something new this time - a cake leveler. It's a simple apparatus used to cut across the top of your cake to make it level (if I were a professional, this would not be something I would need, but I can't cut level across anything, let alone cake). Leveling the cake made it MUCH easier to frost and stack.  Everyone loved it!




Saturday we were invited to a 1st Birthday Party. It was held at one of our favorite Pubs in Minneapolis. In India, 1st Birthdays are important, so I wanted to make a special card for Myra. I chose Indian printed paper and stamped an elephant to clear the way for her to be successful (in India, the elephant represents the removal of obstacles and makes one's life easier). I finished it off with some jewels on the toes.




Materials:
Paper: Poppy foldover card (Paper Source), Ripe Avocado (Papertrey Ink), India Print (Paper Source), Sft White (Paper Source)
Ink: Memento Black Tuxedo, Stampin' up watercolor pencils
Stamp:India Elephant (Paper Source)
Ribbon: Michael's
Buttons: Autumn Mix (Papertrey Ink)



No comments: